Toot Your Own Horn

DSC_0010

“Toot your own horn” an interesting expression, when I found a large lot of 19th century tin party horns in an amazing array of colors, that is what first came to my mind and second, what fabulous lamps they would make.

DSC_0042

These are tin horns that were made in the USA around the turn of the 19th century. Some even have Made in the USA stamped right on it.  They were used on New Years Eve and many other joyous occasions.

Vintage decorative tin is highly collectible, true American Folk Art. What a wonderful way to show off part of a collection.

The colors and patterns on each of them are as beautiful as their shape.

Comments

1. I love that! Have you done any others yet? If so send me pictures – I want to feature those. I’ve never seen anything like them.

2. michael says:

Are these pieces for sale?

3. Liz Schechter says:

Oh Susan, I want one of the red (& pink) ones pictures SO MUCH!! Love what you did with the shade!

4. Nancy says:

Lovely. I always enjoy seeing your new creations. Visited your etsy shop, too. Great work.

5. These made me happy on a day when all I want to do is scream seeing what the snow has left behind damage-wise in the garden. Thanks — perfect timing for a smile!

6. annechovie says:

Your creativity amazes me, Susan! Have a great weekend. xx

7. Susan says:

They are so cool Susan–I love the colors of the vintage horns!

8. Christine says:

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. I didn’t mean to insinuate that you were ruining these horns. My reference to cutting them up was aimed at me. I cut up tins and make jewelry from them. I was just saying that these were too beautiful to do that to. I love what you’ve done with them. The lamps are fab and a great way to give an old object new life. Best–Christine

9. Eddie Ross says:

these are so cute!!! what a great idea!!
    xo

10. Ki says:

Super cute! Love mixing the polka dot horns and the floral shades! Bravo!
    Cheers,
    Ki

11. Mitzi Curi says:

I’m so glad I discovered your blog and website. You have terrific ideas and your taste & aesthetic are very similar to mine. Lighting is so important, and something people often overlook when decorating. I see lampshades as blank canvases ready to be transformed into something unique and stylish. Last year I encouraged my blog readers to donate their black torchiere lamps, those awful, cheapo ones that everyone seems to have, to a college student or to charity and go forth and find a vintage floor lamp to add style and function to their rooms. My next target is the ceiling fan with the big honking lights that stick out of the middle……